DURING the past 90 years members of the local community have seen young men walking along Albion Street on the weekly pass to head down town in their grey hat, long grey socks and blazer.
Ninety years to the day, Scots College opened in front of an informal gathering of members of the committee, clergymen, parents and the foundation, students and staff.
The formal opening did not occur until the following year, September 4, 1920, in a ceremony which was conducted by the Moderator-General of the Presbyterian Church, the Right Reverend John Walker.
The Presbyterian Girls College (PGC) and Scots College were established as boarding schools in 1918 and 1919 to serve the needs of the large Scottish population in the area and to provide a solid education.
By early 1919 it was clear there was considerable support in south-west Queensland for the education of girls at the PGC.
A meeting of interested Presbyterians was convened on March 3, 1919 by B.T. De Conlay and R. J. Shilliday in Warwick to meet W. R. Black who had “a very important proposal to make affecting the education of our boys”.
Read the full story here.